This Toasted Coconut Flour Cake is one of my favorites. I’ve made it 6 different times since writing this post and changed up ingredients each time. I’ve added cranberries, diced apples, chocolate, and even shredded carrots and I have to tell you, they’re all my favorite. As you can see my taste tester (granddaughter Autumn) is giving it the seal of approval, so you know it’s got to be good. She says this Toasted Coconut Flour Cake is the best and that I’m a wonderful cooker! Hmmm, do I pay her for her review or tell her that “cooker” isn’t the right word to use? Na, I’m going with be a good cooker!
The best things in life are the simple pleasure’s of spending time with loved one in the kitchen!
Toasted Coconut Flour Cake is really simple to make and really takes no extra time then a regular homemade cake takes, and it’s moist and delicious. I took the easy way out by using gluten-free can frosting. My favorite go to frosting when I don’t want to mess with making it, is Simple Mills Organic Vanilla Frosting (I am in no way associated with Simple Mills products, I just really like their products) with a little toasted coconut on top.
This Toasted Coconut Cake is vastly becoming a family favorite! The grandchildren love to get in the kitchen and get their hands messy and join in the fun of making this delicious cake.
- 2 cups – Unsweetened Shredded Coconut – separated – 1 cup goes in cake batter the other on top
- 1/8 tsp – Ground Sea Salt
- 1 tsp – Baking Soda
- 2/3 cup - Coconut Flour
- ½ cup – Coconut Oil – melted
- 3 – Eggs – separated, yolks in a small bowl and whites in a medium bowl
- 1/3 cup – Pure Raw Honey – local is best
- 1 ½ tsp – Pure Vanilla
- 1/3 cup – Cashew Milk or dairy of your choice
- 1 can – Simple Mills Organic Vanilla Frosting
- Non-stick Coconut Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper – to line sheet pan and cake pan (round 6 in)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Prepare pans – line sheet pan with parchment and set aside. Spray bottom of cake pan with non-stick spray and then line with parchment and set aside.
- Spread shredded coconut on prepared sheet pan and bake 5 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Make sure to watch this close so it does not burn. You can also toast the coconut in a pan on top of the stove as well.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In med bowl with mixer beat, egg whites until stiff peaks form. You will know this by hold a spoonful of whipped egg white’s upside down, if they don’t fall off they are ready.
- In a large bowl whisk together, egg yolks, milk, honey, vanilla and coconut oil until combined. Stir in flour mixture, then fold in egg whites and 1 cup of toasted coconut.
- Spread batter into prepared cake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool Completely before adding frosting.
- After cake has cooled, top with frosting and sprinkle on the toasted coconut! Now you're ready to serve this delicious Toasted Coconut Cake.
*Note - time does not including cooling time.
This Toasted Coconut Flour Cake is super easy to make and is great to take to any function or holiday gathering. Get the kids in the kitchen and have them help mixing it up. Have them add their favorite fruit or flavoring to the cake as well, you’ll be surprised at how much kids love getting involved cooking the foods their eating. My grandchildren really enjoy being in the kitchen and it builds a life of memories for them to look back on when they are raising their family. After all, the heart of the family is love and being together spending time and sharing memories. Enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours,