These Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies are simply delicious! Over the holidays, I wanted to make something different for the kids at school – 150+ kids were on my list and with schools being a “peanut free” zone I wanted to make sure what I fixed would pass the taste test with all of them. So, I decided to make Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies. I mean, who doesn’t like a tasty shortbread cookie! Believe me, you’ll never know that they’re gluten-free. Score one for me!!
Me I love them and they’re so versatile! You can add any flavoring or topping and the taste will change. This recipe for Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies can also be used as a pie crust, a dessert pizza crust. You can top them with homemade jam and peanut butter and make them a peanut butter jelly shortbread sandwich cookie! It’s limitless what you can do with this recipe.
These Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies are a family favorite! Bring your family into the kitchen to have some fun - put them to work - they won't even know they are working. Laughter in the kitchen brightens the heart.
- ½ cup – Coconut Oil – room temperature
- 1 tsp – Almond Extract - or extract of your choice
- Pinch of – Sea Salt
- ½ cup – Sugar
- 1 ½ cups – Bob’s Red Mill’s 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour
- ½ cup – Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ cup – Oat Flour
- 1 cup – Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. – Sprinkles – of your choice
- Spray Coconut Oil
- Parchment Paper
- 13x9 in Baking Sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray sheet pan with non-stick spray then line with parchment and then spray parchment with non-stick spray. Set aside until needed.
- With hand mixer or stand mixer – beat coconut oil until creamy. Add almond extract, sea salt, and sugar. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour a little at a time until all is incorporated. Dough will start to form a ball while mixing. Once all flour is mixed in, press dough onto prepared sheet pan evenly.
- Cut dough while in pan into 1 x 3 inch pieces, then poke each cookie with a fork about 3 times until each cut cookies is poked!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- While cookies are cooling, melt chocolate in micro safe bowl in increments of 30 seconds until all chocolate has melted. Dip one end of each cookies into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper, add sprinkles and allow to set. Once cookies are set you may dig in or store them in a tight container for up to 2 weeks on the counter or 3 weeks in refrigerator. Cookies may be frozen for up to 3 months.
These Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies are for any and all occasions! I love to keep them on hand for when the grand-kids are around. I make a large (double batch) and keep them plain without decorations and when they’re here I break out the chocolate, sprinkles, jams, and frosting and let them make up their own flavors! It’s a win, win for me. You can dip them in melted chocolate as I’ve done in this recipe or dip them in frosting or some delicious local raw honey from your favorite Bee Keeper! Our Bee Keeper is my father-in-law and it’s the best honey you’ll ever put in your recipes! We call him the Bee Whisperer!
Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies are easy and pretty quick to make, so it’s not like you will be in the kitchen forever and you can freeze them so they are on hand anytime you want to treat yourself to something yummy with a hot cup of tea or coffee. They’re wonderful to fix for a Mother’s Day Brunch as well. Treat everyone you love with these scrumptious Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies, I did and they were a hit. Enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another delicious recipe using raw honey? Try my Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts with Raw Honey Glaze!