Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac is a meal that will stick to your ribs and keep you satisfied! It’s creamy, cheesy and so darn delicious! I couldn’t believe that cheese and squash could go together and taste as good as it did! My grandchildren were even fooled and couldn’t stop eating it! Believe me, they are my worst and best food critics.
Last November I participated in SRC (secret recipe club) and I was assigned Tara’s Multicultural Table. Meaning – we are assigned a food blogger and we make a version of one of their recipes, of course without them knowing until you reveal your recipe on your blog. While I was there getting to know her, and surfing her recipes I made her Mubattan Kusha from Lybia, which I called – Meat Potato Pie! Yes, it’s seriously delicious and I’ve made it twice since then. A few of her recipes (well a lot of them) jumped out at me while I was stalking and I decided to try another one. I decided to make Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac!
Serve your family a delicious meal/side dish of Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac. It's a tasty alternative to the regular old mac and cheese.
- 3 cups – Butternut Squash – peeled, seeded and cut in chucks
- 1 32oz – Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp. – Mrs. Dash – Garlic and Herb
- 8 oz box – Gluten-Free Pasta
- 1 tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp. – Butter
- ¼ cup – Onion – diced
- ¼ cup – Red Bell Pepper – diced
- ¼ cup – Green Bell Pepper – diced
- 2 cloves – Garlic – minced
- ½ - Jalapeno – diced
- ½ cup – Unsweetened Almond Milk – or dairy of your choice
- ¼ cup – Yellow Cheddar Cheese – grated
- ¼ cup – White Extra Sharp Cheese – grated
- ¼ tsp of each – Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup – Fresh Parsley – chopped fine – reserve 1 tsp for garnish on top
- Peel, seed and chop squash, pour stock into 4-quart cooking pot, add squash, Mrs. Dash and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking saute – onions, bell peppers, garlic and jalapeno in coconut oil and butter until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, saving ¼ cup of the broth. Put pasta and parsley (except for 1 tsp.) into a large pot and set aside with broth.
- Add onion mixture, cheeses, milk, salt, pepper, and a 1/4 cup of reserved broth not a food processor/blender (be careful, this is very hot). Once all ingredients are smooth, pour over pasta, mix well with wooden spoon and garnish with 1 tsp of parsley and serve.
Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac is great as a meal on its own or as a side dish with chicken or grilled pork. It really will go with anything you decide to fix. After mix up all the ingredients you can even throw it in the oven topped with gluten-free bread crumbs to give the top layer a little crunch. I added some extra crushed red peppers to my plate to give it an extra kick for this southern girl. Nothing’s too spicy hot for me!
Give your family a healthy and different version from the same old boring mac & cheese with this Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac for dinner. Don’t tell them what the secret ingredient is until after dinner and surprise them with eating their veggies without a fuss! It’s great to take or make for a BBQ, family gather or anywhere that you need to bring a dish to! This Butternut Squash Cheesy Mac is certainly one delicious dish!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another take-a-long dish? Try my Crocked Baked Beans!