Growing up my mother made the best Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken. I can still remember the smell of it cooking on the stove and how comfortable I felt in the kitchen with her. When she made hers, she would use a package of Vigo brand of Yellow Rice and add all of her ingredients to it so it was really delicious. It was a staple in our house because it was a cheap way to feed your family and when you have 5 children, you look for anyway to save a dollar, and believe me this Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken may be a cheaper meal to make but it tastes like you spent the whole day in the kitchen.
All I did to make this Homemade Yellow Rice and chicken was to remove the package and make my own yellow rice, and let me tell you, it is amazing!! I added some aromatic and tasty spices (turmeric, cumin, coriander, etc.) and was able to replicate the package of yellow rice. When I told my husband and son (who always seems to be here at dinnertime) that it did not come out of a package, they didn’t believe me and I had to proof it to them! They said I had to make it again and show them what I put in it! Well guess what? I did make it again and it tasted just like the first time I made it! It’s fail proof.
Not only does is Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken delicious, you’re also cutting out a lot of added ingredients you don’t need from packaged ingredients! It’s also way healthier for you and your family. You can feed a just a couple of people or a large crowd just buy doubling the recipe. When I make it, I always fix a double batch and send some to my daughter’s house, it was also her favorite thing to eat while growing up. She cooks it for her family just I did for her and her brother and sister except, she uses the package. That is, until now!
Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken has been a family favorite since I was a young girl and now it's been converted to gluten-free and no packaged ingredients! Serve your family a healthy delicious meal tonight.
- 2 halves or one whole – Chicken Breasts
- 4 cups – Water
- 2 cups – Basmati Rice – or rice of your choice
- 3 cups – Chicken Stock – use the water you cooked the chicken in or a carton is just as good
- 1 tsp – Turmeric
- ½ tsp – Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp – Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp – Coriander Seeds
- ½ tsp – Course Sea Salt
- ½ tsp – Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp. – Butter
- ¼ cup – Red Bell Pepper – diced
- ¼ cup – Onion – diced
- ½ cup – Frozen Baby Peas
- Boil chicken breasts in 4 cups of water until done. Approximately 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth to plate and make sure you save your broth. Cube chicken and set aside. While chicken is boiling start rice.
- Fix rice according to package directions except, use chicken broth from boiling chicken as your water for cooking rice.
- While rice is cooking, muddle seasonings in a muddle or by adding to a bowl and using then end of a wooden spoon crush them together. Set aside.
- Saute veggies in butter until tender, about 8 minutes. Add peas and seasoning and cook for 5 minutes. Add Rice and chicken and heat through for about 3 minutes on low.
- Serve with your favorite green salad you have a complete meal for your family in about 25 minutes! Enjoy.
Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken is a quick and easy meal to make on those nights when you are rushed but want to put a good meal on the table. Most of the ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard and won’t have to rush out to the store to purchase anything. We hope you and your family enjoy this recipe for Homemade Yellow Rice and Chicken as much as we have. God bless my mother for being an amazing cook that took the time to teach me that life and love can be in the kitchen.
From my kitchen to yours,
Would you like another of my mother’s inspirations? Try my – Grandma’s Goulash.