Sometimes I just don’t feel like cooking a big meal and this Garbage Rice Soup seems to fit right in to my evening. I so enjoy spending time with my grandchildren (as most you know, all 7 of them have taken over my life) and making many memories with them. For me family and memories are very important. My mother passed away four years ago, (I miss her daily), and my children remember having so much fun with their grandmother and the special things she did with them. That’s the kind of legacy I want to leave for my grandchildren and cooking in the kitchen with them is what they love to do.
This Garbage Rice Soup fit right into the day I was having! I was bombarded with emails, cookie requests, errands that needed to be run, picking up grandchildren at soccer, football practice, and basketball practice! I know, I’m a very busy Grammie, but I can’t help myself when it comes to those smiling faces.
I used a lot of left-over things I had in the refrigerator as well. I had left-over broccoli stems from when I made my Broccoli Cheddar Rice. Never throw away the stems of fresh broccoli, they are amazing in soups.
This Garbage Rice Soup Recipe is extremely versatile. You can add any left-over ingredients that you have and make it even heartier.
- 1 Tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 6 – Celery Stalks – chopped
- 3 large – Carrots – chopped
- Bunch of Broccoli Stems – I kept my stems from making my Broccoli Cheddar Rice
- ½ cup – Onion – diced
- ½ cup – Red Bell Pepper
- ¼ head of Cabbage – rough chopped
- 1 can – Tomatoes, Okra and Corn
- 1 large – Tomato – diced
- 1 - 32 oz. – Carton Veggie Stock*
- 1 – 32 oz. – Carton Beef Stock*
- 1 cup – Basmati Rice – cooked according to package
- 1 tsp – Garlic Powder – to put in water for boiling rice
- ¼ tsp each – Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Ground Cumin
- In a large stock pot sauté diced celery, carrots, broccoli stems, red bell pepper, in coconut oil for 10 minutes on med/low, stirring often.
- After the 10 minutes add the remaining ingredients except for rice and cook on low for 45 minutes.
- While soup is cooking make rice according to package directions, but add 1 tsp. of garlic powder to the water when you start it to boil. Once rice is done, add it to the soup and serve! My family loved it with some delicious garlic bread and a side salad.
*I use Rachel Ray’s Stocks because they are certified gluten-free and they are really delicious.
My Garbage Rice Soup is quick and easy to make, and you can change up the ingredients to fit what’s in your refrigerator, that’s the best part about this recipe, you can add anything that you desire and it will still be delicious! This soup is great when you have to cook for any army or you can make up a pot and have it through the week for lunch. Around here we enjoy soup all week long and the best part is, I don’t have to stand in the kitchen very long at all! I’m back in the living room watching movies with the rest of the family, and I’m still getting high 5’s from the grand-babies. Now, that’s my goal in life.
I hope you enjoy this Garbage Rice Soup as much as we do. Remember, you can clean out your refrigerator and add all kinds of things. That’s what makes it so good!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another delicious soup? Try my Bison Meatball Soup for a hearty warming meal for your family.