In as little as twenty-five minutes I had this tasty Broccoli Cheddar Rice sitting on the table for dinner. Around here we love basmati rice and my hubby just can’t get enough. He says it’s one of the best tasting rice’s he’s ever had. We are all so busy during the week and sometimes it’s pretty late when we are able to sit down for dinner and standing in the kitchen cooking a big meal or one that takes forever is never on my list of things to do in the late evening. This Broccoli Cheddar Rice is quick and simple to make without a hassle.
The combination of the warm cheddar cheese, basmati rice and fresh broccoli is simply delicious and goes into my yummy list of comfort foods to make again and again over the up and coming cold winter here in Maine. During the winter my hubby and I will sit down together and make up a list of his favorite foods he would like to have during the winter months. Here in the summer it can get very warm and without air conditioning it gets too hot in the kitchen for these kinds of meals, so we save them up for when it’s cold outside (which seems to be nine months out of the year). I think this Broccoli Cheddar Rice is number 14 on our list.
This Broccoli Cheddar Rice is a delicious quick and easy meal for those nights you’re pressed for time, but want a balanced meal to make for your family without spending hours in the kitchen. You will be in and out of the kitchen so fast you’ll have time to play a board game or two.
- 2 cups – Basmati Rice – cooked according to package
- 1 head – Fresh Broccoli – florets chopped
- 1 cup – Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup – Red Onion – chopped
- ¼ cup – Red Bell Pepper – chopped
- 2 Tbsp. – Butter
- ½ cup – Almond Milk – unsweetened, or milk product of your choice
- ¼ tsp each – Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder
- Fix rice according to package directions.
- Blanch broccoli by placing florets in boiling water, then turn off heat and put a lid on the pot and allow them to get happy in their warm bath for 5 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Saute onions and red peppers in coconut oil on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add cooked rice and drained broccoli. Turn heat to a simmer, just enough to keep rice and broccoli warm.
- In a small sauce pot heat milk, butter, cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder on low until cheese has melted and all ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Pour cheese mixture over rice and broccoli stirring to combine and serve.
This Broccoli Cheddar Rice is a super-fast meal to make and can have you in and out of the kitchen in no time flat. You’ll be sitting around the table with the family instead of standing in the kitchen. This meal is also wonderful to make on family game night! You can get more gaming time with the family by making this quick and easy Broccoli Cheddar Rice for dinner. Make game night fun and have them help you make it and spend some bonding time in the kitchen and make sure you include extra fun and laughter. Enjoy!
Update *What a great way to use up your leftovers (if there are any)? Try my Fried Broccoli Cheddar Rice Balls! They are seriously delicious!
From my kitchen to yours,
Looking for another delicious rice dish? Try my Grilled Chicken and Cauliflower Rice!