I’ve recently joined a group called the Secret Recipe Club and we receive a challenge each month to fix another food bloggers recipe (without them knowing, that’s the secret part), and I received Smruti, originally from India but now resides in the US. She has a passion for trying new ingredients and loves to replicate dishes that she has discovered while living in the US. One look at her blog look at her blog the Herbivore Cucina and you can certainly see all the passion and love that has gone into each dish that they’ve prepared. Smruti and her husband make a wonderful team and are creating new and exciting scrumptious meals daily.
After stalking her blog and salivating all over my keyboard due to their delicious looking recipes, I decided to make her Schezwan Fried Rice with a little twist. I was out of rice (almost unheard of around here, but it happened) but, I had a head of cauliflower and decided to use that in place of white rice! Smruti does say you can use brown rice, but I was out of that as well. I know, time to hit the grocery store soon! I’m kind of glad I was out of both white and brown rice because the cauliflower rice worked perfectly, and that’s how I came up with my version of Schezwan Fried Cauliflower Rice.
Schezwan Fried Cauliflower Rice is a delicious dish with good for you veggies and a lower carb version of rice. It's a quick and easy meal for those fast paced weekdays when you need to be in and out of the kitchen in no time at all.
- 4 cups – Cauliflower – riced
- ¼ cup of each – Carrots, Green Beans, Baby Corn - diced
- ¼ cup – Frozen Peas
- ½ cup – Red Pepper* and Yellow Bell Pepper – diced
- ½ cup – Baby Portabella Mushrooms – diced
- ½ cup – Cabbage – diced
- ¼ cup – Garden Onions (scallions) – diced – save a tablespoon of the green part for garnish
- 2 cloves – Garlic – minced
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- 2 Tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp. – Butter
- 2 Tbsp. – Schezwan Sauce*
- 2 Tbsp. – Soy Sauce*
- Remove cauliflower florets from core and place in food processor. Pulse until it resembles rice. Place in micro safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for 8 minutes. Set aside until needed.
- While cauliflower is cooking dice all veggies.
- Heat large skillet with coconut oil, butter and garlic. Add veggies, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook on Medium for 8 minutes or until done to your liking.
- Add cauliflower rice, sauces and vinegar. Cook on med/low until heated through. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
*Make sure you read labels for gluten-free. San-J has schezwan and soy sauce that is gluten-free. I used Jimmy Nardello Sweet Peppers from our local grower Northern Roots Grow Supply. Remember: Always support your local growers.
This Schezwan Fried Cauliflower Rice is a quick and easy recipe to make, but is no way lacking on taste! I added all the veggie’s that Smruti suggested, with an addition of peas and colored bell peppers. I really enjoyed the taste of the Jimmy Nardello Sweet Peppers I picked up from our local growers Northern Roots Grow, and I personally loved the Schezwan sauce, I’m big spice lover and that sauce hit the right note in this dish! I will certainly be making this Schezwan Fried Cauliflower Rice again! Thanks to Smruti and her husband over at the Herbivore Cucina!
From my kitchen to yours,
Always remember to support your local farmers and growers in your area. I received my Jimmy Nardello Sweet Peppers from one of our favorite local growers: Northern Roots Grow Supply and you can check out their official website here or check them out on their facebook page here.
Looking for another Cauliflower Rice dish? Try my Grilled Chicken with Cauliflower Rice.
It’s mid-October and you still have time to enter in our October Giveaway for an Amazon Gift Card.