There is nothing in this world better than Chicken and Waffles! I mean lip smacking good fried chicken with a fresh homemade waffle and some pecan sauce to drizzle over the top! It’s pure heaven for your taste buds. I love being a southern woman and I love my heritage and I’m teaching all of the delicious foods that my grandmother and mother used to make when I was growing up. My favorite was fried chicken (of course) and all the fixings! This Gluten-Free Chicken and Waffles with Pecan Sauce is one of my favorites and I made it last week for my grandsons and they absolutely went crazy over it! Score one for the Grammie!
Related: For another southern chicken recipe, try my Homemade Chicken and Dumplings!
Since going Gluten-Free a few years back (medical reasons) I’ve not been able to just go and make fried chicken, waffles or anything else loved to make way back when. I mean, I’ve been making crispy delicious fried chicken since I was 11 years old, thanks to my mother for taking the time to teach me how to really fry up some good old crispy chicken! Now that there are more flours out there for us gluten-free people we can just about make anything we want or desire. My top craving was Chicken and Waffles, and I proud to say – this recipe tastes just like it did all those years ago standing in my mother’s kitchen.
There is nothing like having a good old fashion Southern Meal with this Chicken and Waffles recipe with a homemade Pecan Sauce. It's sure to please everyone around your table.
- 2 cups – Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ cup – Stevia in The Raw
- 1 tsp – Baking Soda
- 1 tsp – Baking Powder
- 1 tsp – Vanilla
- 1 – Egg – beaten
- 1 cup – Almond Milk – or milk of your choice
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- ½ cup – Club Soda
- 3 halves – Chicken Breasts – sliced into strips
- ¼ cup – Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ cup – Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- ¼ cup – Gluten-Free Rice Flour
- ½ tsp of each of the following: sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- ½ cup – Olive Oil – or oil of your choice
- Frying skillet
- ¼ cup – Maple Syrup – use local if you can! There is nothing like good local maple syrup from your area.
- ½ cup – Brown Sugar
- 3 tsp – Corn Starch
- ¼ cup – Heavy Cream
- 1 – Tbsp. – Butter
- ¼ tsp – Sea Salt
- 1 tsp – Black Pepper
- 1 tsp – Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ cup – Roasted Pecans
- Combine flour, sugar baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, egg, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix well with wire whisk. Add club soda and whisk until well blended.
- Pour batter into heated waffle iron and cook until golden brown on each side. Mine maker usually takes 3 to 4 minutes per waffle.
- While waffles are cooking in a large plastic baggie combine: flours and seasonings and shake until combined well.
- Place chicken strips in baggie of flour mixture and shake until each piece is coated really well.
- Heat oil in frying skillet (you will know if oil is hot enough by sprinkling a little flour in it and if the flour sizzles, then your oil is ready). Drop chicken into oil – be sure not to over crowd the chicken – it cooks better if it’s had plenty of space between piece and your oil will stay at a good temp.
- Fry chicken 4 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towel to absorb any extra grease.
- While chicken is cooking - combine all ingredients in a small cooking pot and cook on medium until all ingredients have combine. Remove and allow to cool.
I normally make waffles for breakfast and make a double batch so we can use them for dinner that night for the Chicken and Waffles. You can even freeze them and take them out as needed. I love to make up at least 30 to 40 waffles and have them in the freezer for when the grandchildren stay over so I’m always prepared!
My grandson’s went nuts over this meal, along with my husband who is my biggest fan when it comes to fried chicken! It’s one of his all-time favorites. This man never had homemade fried chicken until we started dating! Can you believe that? I can imagine that someone can grow up and only have KFC for fried chicken! My southern heart may collapse just thinking about it.
This Chicken and Waffles recipe with fresh homemade Pecan Sauce is sure to please your entire crowd, at least it was at my house. My family couldn’t get enough of this tasty meal. If you like fried chicken and you like waffles, then this is a meal for you. I Once you put that piece of fried chicken on that freshly made waffle and drizzle on some of that sweet and savory Pecan Sauce – there’s no stopping you. You and your family will be returning for seconds and thirds. Grab your skillet and your waffle maker and head to the kitchen to fix up some good southern fried Chicken and Waffles with a generous amount of Pecan Sauce. Enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours,