This Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich was created on a whim. I was rummaging through the refrigerator looking for something unique to make and I noticed I had some extra chicken tenders that needed to be cooked and I had some left-over pesto sauce and I thought “why not”, so I did. And, that’s how this Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich was born. So grab your note pad and jot down the recipe or do what I do, just hit the print button in the recipe section!
The combination of the tender and juicy chicken with creamy melted swiss cheese along with the herbs in the pesto sauce all together in one bite, is one delicious bite of goodness. This Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich is a quick and easy meal to make on those nights you want something good but don’t want to spend too much time making it. This recipe for my Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich is sure to please all appetites, even the pickiest of eaters!
This Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich is so versatile, you could satisfy even your pickiest of eaters. This sandwich is by far a favorite around here.
- 8 slices – Bread – Gluten-Free*
- 4 Tbsp. – Butter – soften
- 1 – 6 oz jar – Barilla Traditional Pesto Sauce – You will need 4 tablespoons. **
- 8 slices – Swiss Cheese – 2 per sandwich
- 8 – Chicken Tenders – you can buy them cut or buy 2 half breasts and cut them yourself.
- 2 Tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 1/2tsp of each - Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder – mix together
- 4 Tbsp. – Butter – Soften – ½ tbsp. to coat each side of the bread
- Season chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic mixture.
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan and lay chicken pieces in oil to fry. Cook 3 minutes on each side and remove to a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Butter outside of bread and lay face down on parchment paper (this way it’s easy to remove). Heat skillet for making sandwiches.
- Place swiss cheese, then chicken, then pesto sauce, then swiss cheese on one slice of bread. Place in skillet, then place other slice of bread on top. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook other side for 3 minutes or until brown on each side.
- Remove from heat, let cool for 3 minutes, slice in half and serve with my famous Tempting Tomato Soup!
*My recipe for Gluten-Free Bread. **I use the left-over pesto for a pasta meal through the week.
My Pesto Grilled Chicken Sandwich is fast becoming a favorite with my family. I love mine with a lot of crushed red peppers added to the pesto, my husband likes extra pesto and cheese added to his, two grandchildren prefer American cheese, one prefers no cheese, three of them prefer the bread not grilled, they like it plain, and my youngest grandchild prefers to have all the goodness but without the bread! This recipe is so versatile you can accommodate even the pickiest of eaters and make them all happy. I love it when a well thought out recipe comes together to please everyone. I’ve made this now 4 different times and each with different ingredients! I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine has and will continue to enjoy!
From my kitchen to yours,