Lentils are one of my newest “food switch ups” I’ve pulled on my grandchildren this past weekend, and everyone knows that I love to stump them with ingredients every chance I can get. Well, these Vegetarian Lentil Burgers hit a home-run score for me, because I’m the one who won the “guess the ingredients” game we had during dinner that night. Yep! I’m patting myself on the back for this one. I think these Vegetarian Lentil Burgers are my second top winner where no one could guess the ingredients. My top one so far, that’s still hanging at the top are my Brownie Sundae Cups. Which by the way, are delicious!
In case you’ve never heard of “guess the ingredients” game, let me tell you how it’s played – On family dinner night when the grandchildren come over I cook a meal in secret, which means, they are not allowed in the kitchen while I’m cooking and of course no peaking around the corner either! Once the meal is set on the table everyone gathers around to eat and during dinner each one takes a guess at what the ingredients are in what was served to them and the one who has guessed most of the ingredients, wins a little extra dessert later on that evening. Oh and if no one gets the “secret” ingredient, or gives up, then I win. Let me tell you, they really dislike when I win!! Of course, I do stand up and do the “Grammie wins dance” you just have to! Yep! That’s right! No one was able to guess the star ingredients during this meal, so I walked away with the award again.
Vegetarian Lentil Burgers are a great way to fill up and fuel up your family. Sneak in some of those good for you lentils in this delicious burger. For the burger buns I used Oopsie Bread which is close to no carbs! You can't get any better than this.
- 1 can – Lentils – rinsed, drained, ¼ mashed, ¼ cup left whole
- 1 large carrot – diced very small
- 1 clove – Garlic – minced
- 2 Bok Choy Stalks – diced very small
- ½ cup – Green Bell Pepper – diced very small
- 5 oz package – Baby Spinach – fresh, chopped
- 1 TBSP. – Coconut Oil
- ½ tsp – Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp – Salt
- ½ tsp – Ground Black Pepper
- 3 TBSP. – Parmesan cheese – grated
- ¼ cup – Gluten-free Bread Crumbs
- In large bowl mix – mashed and whole lentils together and set aside.
- In med skillet sauté – carrots, garlic, bok choy, bell pepper, and baby spinach in coconut oil on medium heat for 3 minutes. Add seasonings and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Place cooled veggie mixture in food processor and pulse until combined well. About 30 seconds should do it. Add this mixture to the lentils and combine.
- Add parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, mixing well with a wooden spoon. Form patties and chill for at least 30 minutes. You can make them the night before and leave them chilling until you’re ready to cook them.
- Place patties in skillet with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and cook at medium heat 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite condiments.
Upon telling them, that is after their meal is finished, they were eating Vegetarian Lentil Burgers, each one of them slapped their hand on their forehead and stated “ugh, you did it again, you sneaked in something healthy, again”. I sure do take pride in being able to do that! I don’t think kids eat enough fiber or other good ingredients like they should and I’m just lucky enough to have seven grandchildren that are willing to try anything I put in front of them. It makes playing this game a lot more fun. My only fear is – when it’s their turn to cook! Oh No! I may have created seven little monsters.
Vegetarian Lentil Burgers are a great source of vitamins and fiber. They’re full of all the good stuff and you can feel wonderful feeding this meal to your family. I served mine on my Oopsie Bread that I used to make pizza with the night before. Get them involved in what they’re eating by playing the “guess the ingredients” game and see how many nights you can win!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another recipe to use for “guess the ingredients” game? Try my top winner… Brownie Sundae Cups.