Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts with Raw Honey Glaze are what’s cooking up in the kitchen today! Last month my husband bought me a baby-cakes mini donut maker for a “just because” gift. He loves to pick up unusual things for the kitchen and he thought I would have some fun using the cool little machine. It’s about the size of a waffle maker and is just as easy to use! No, this is not a promotional plug for baby-cakes, I just really loved his gift and how thoughtful he was being. Now, on to the good stuff that was made using the Baby-cakes mini donut maker.
I whipped up my favorite buttermilk batter and added some cinnamon and nutmeg to the recipe and whipped these scrumptious mini donuts out in no time at all. Well I can’t really say “in no time at” all because the machine only cooks 4 mini donuts at a time. While the gluten-free buttermilk donuts were cooking I was also making up a big pot of soup so I stayed busy during the whole process.
Each one of these delicious Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts are topped off with a fresh Raw Honey Glaze. The honey is compliments of my father in law. He started his own bee hives last year and he just had his first production of tasty honey a few weeks ago! If you can get your hands on some fresh raw honey, I suggest that you do. It’s the greatest stuff since sliced bread. I love using raw honey in recipes because it has so many healing properties to it and it’s just all around good for you (*see note below).
These Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts are a crowd please delicious dessert. I say always have dessert first! You can serve these up for an afternoon snack or start your day off with a mini sweet treat!
- 1 cup – Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten-Free Flour 1 to 1
- ½ cup – Rice Flour
- ½ cup – Oat Flour
- ¾ cup – Sugar
- ½ tsp – Sea Salt
- ½ tsp – Baking Soda
- ½ tsp – Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp – Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup – Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups – Buttermilk
- 1 tsp – Pure Vanilla
- 1 cup – Powdered Sugar
- 2 TBSP. – Pure Raw Honey*
- ½ tsp – Pure Vanilla
- 2 TBSP. – Milk or Almond Milk
- Baby-Cakes Donut Maker or a donut pan for the oven.
- In a large bowl mix the following ingredients until well combined -
- Flours, sugar, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, olive oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Heat donut maker according to directions or preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease donut pan.
- Scoop batter into donut maker and close lid. Cook for 4 minutes and remove donuts to wire rack. If you are baking them in the oven scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of donut comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack.
- Mix powdered sugar, honey, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl until well blended. Once donuts have cooled, dip each one into glaze and place back on wire rack until set. Sprinkle with your favorite colored sprinkles and serve.
*Raw Honey is always best from your local area. Check with your local Farmers Market, if not Raw Honey from the grocery will work a well.
Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts with Raw Honey Glaze has certainly topped our favorites list. All the grandchildren were all over these scrumptious bites. Just for a few seconds my house was nothing but silence, which is really unheard of around here. Not a single person said anything until they finished eating there donuts. Then they all started talking at once while reaching for more! I love it when this happens, it makes me feel like I did my job!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another delicious donuts recipe? Try my Double Chocolate Glazed Donuts!
*Warning, do not give children under the age of 2 honey. Read more about children and honey here.