This Lentil Chili Stew is filled with delicious lentils, potatoes, carrots, and tons of other wonderful veggies. Spring may be in the air for most, but here in Maine our weather can get down to the 30’s at night and during the day, although we did have a few days of 50-degree weather which was pure heaven! We (in our home) will usually keep cooking stews and soups throughout the year. It doesn’t necessarily have to be cold for us to have a nice warm bowl of goodness.
Last month my husband and I took on the chore of painting our Livingroom, dining room and hallway. If you’ve ever painted, you know the mess your home is in during this process and for me cooking was the last thing on my mind. This Lentil Chili Stew kept all of us going all weekend, and let me tell you – we were flat out busy and this wonderful stew kept us warm and fortified.
This Lentil Chili Stew kept us painting all weekend.
I wanted something that would be able to simmer on the stove (you could cook this Lentil Chili Stew in a crockpot as well) that we could eat at any time without the hassle of it being watched over. I really didn’t want to stop and prepare a large meal and this Lentil Chili Stew fed the masses and was really delicious. Everyone walked away from the table full and ready to get back to painting.
Lentil Chili Stew is a fortifying meal to cook for a crowd. It’s a great dish to make for any family gathering, take to a school function or for a lunch meeting! It’s sure to please everyone.
- 1 16 0z bag – Lentils – quick cooked*
- 1 Tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 2 cloves – Garlic – minced
- 1 1b – Ground Turkey
- 1 large – Carrot – diced
- 1 medium – Onion – diced
- 1 large – Sweet Potato – peeled and diced
- 1 Jalapeno – diced
- 1 large can – Diced Tomatoes
- 1 large can – Tomato Sauce
- 1 carton – Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp – Salt
- 1 tsp – Black Pepper
- 1 tsp – Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. – Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. – Cumin
- 2 tsp – Tabasco Sauce
- ½ tsp – Ground Cinnamon
- *Quick cook lentils – Rinse lentils and drain well. Add to large cooking pot, cover with water, bring to a hard boil or 10 minutes. Turn off heat and cover for 1 hour and drain.
- While lentils are resting after their quick cook, prepare the following in a large cooking pot – brown ground turkey and garlic in coconut oil for 5 minutes.
- After ground turkey has browned add Peppers, carrots, onions, sweet potato, jalapeno, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable stock, and seasonings. Cook on medium/low for 30 minutes.
- Add drained lentils and cook on low for 30 minutes. *
*You may need additional liquid, depending on how thick or thin you want your stew. Serve.
This warm and delicious Lentil Chili Stew would be wonderful to bring to any family gathering. You could make up a double batch and feed the entire crowd. You can omit the ground turkey and serve this wonderful stew meatless and no one will know. Believe me the delicious taste is still going to be there.
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another great tasting stew? Try my Prime Beef Stew.