Taco Tuesday Salad is of course made on Tuesday nights around here! My grandson Mason is the one that named this recipe. He has an affixation for naming the days of the week to fit what meals he would like to have. He loves Taco Tuesday Salads and Spaghetti Thursdays. He is just too way too funny sometimes, but he is certainly a keeper. He is my Taco Tuesday Salad nut!
Last week was a vacation week for school and I helped my daughter out by taking the grandchildren during the day so she didn’t have to worry about a sitter – yes, I was kept very busy by all of them! Everyone wanted Taco Tuesday Salads for lunch, after all, it was on a Tuesday. So I fixed them for lunch and before they sat down to eat, they all ran around the house acting like the little taco bell dog – using his accent saying – Taco Tuesday Salad, for at least 3 minutes. It’s never dull around here when I have any of my grandchildren!
Taco Tuesday Salad is a great way to involve the entire family in making dinner. It’s loads of fun and easy to make and sure to bring in the laughter around the table.
- 2 lb. – Lean Ground Beef*
- ½ tsp – Salt
- ½ tsp – Pepper
- 1 tsp – Cumin
- 1 tsp – Turmeric
- ½ tsp – Garlic Powder
- 1 head – Ice Burg Lettuce – shredded
- 1 cup – Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- 1 can – Dark Red Kidney Beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 small – Onion – diced
- 2 – Plum Tomatoes – sliced
- ½ cup – Carrots – shredded
- 1 – Jalapeno – sliced – optional
- Brown ground beef in large skillet with seasonings until brown and crumbly. Drain excess grease and place in a serving bowl. While ground beef browns work on getting toppings ready.
- On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper line up your lettuce, onions, kidney beans, tomatoes, cheese, carrots, and jalapeno’s.
- Have everyone grab a bowl and start building their Taco Tuesday Salad! Top with sour cream, salsa or a salad dressing you’re their/your choice. Enjoy!
*If you want to lighten this meal up you can use ground turkey, chicken or even tofu in the place of ground beef. You can also use mushrooms in place of ground beef (I've tried it this way and it's delicious), use to pints of sliced mushrooms.
Not all children or grandchildren love to eat salads and I’m one lucky Grammie who has grandchildren that love their greens. My grandson Ethan will have a large whole tomato for a snack, he absolutely loves them. His mother when she was little would peel an onion, put a little salt on it and eat it like it was an apple – I know crazy, right! This Taco Tuesday Salad recipe is a great way to get them to eat on the healthier side of things.
Taco Tuesday Salads can be made spicy or completely mild to fit what each person likes. Set up a taco bar and get them get involved in fixing their own Taco Tuesday Salad, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how much they’ll eat if they get to fix it themselves. My grandson loves to add thousand island dressing on top of his for and little extra taste. Doesn’t matter how or when you fix this delicious salad – it will be a winner and you may even get their rendition of the taco bell dog running around your kitchen!
From my kitchen to yours,
Want another easy and quick spicy dinner idea? Try my Quick and Easy Quesadillas in Under 20 minutes!