These Black Bean Bites are a spicy little meatball (without the meat) that will have everyone surprised. I was inspired to make these tasty bites after visiting Bryon over at Pretty Practical Pantry (make sure to check out his original version) and became extremely hungry after reading his recipe for Black Bean and Tofu Meatballs. I didn’t have all the ingredients and my husband being a carnivore, we were definitely were out of tofu around here, although I would love to try these made that way. I didn’t want to use hamburger and I wanted to stay as close to the recipe as I could, and these delicious Black Bean Bites were created. Thank you Byron!
My favorite part was giving these Black Bean Bites a quick fry in a little coconut oil before sending them off to the oven to bake for that nice and light crispy outer layer of goodness. I was also lucky enough to have a few left-overs (surprisingly) and created a delicious grilled black bean bite sandwich for my husband’s lunch the following day. All I did was add a little cheddar cheese, two slices of bread, a little butter, and grilled each side until it was a nice dark golden brown. Believe me – it was delicious!
Just look at that dark golden brown outside! Yum!
- 1 can – Black Beans – rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1 small – Red Onion – diced very small
- 1 large – Carrot – diced very small
- 1 Tbsp. – Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp. – Water
- ½ tsp. – Fresh Ginger – grated
- 1 Tbsp. – Crushed Red Peppers*
- 2 – Garlic Cloves – minced
- 3 Tbsp. – Cheddar Cheese – grated
- ½ tsp. – Cumin – ground
- ¼ tsp – Salt and Pepper – or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. – Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup – Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup – Coconut Oil
- ½ cup – BBQ Sauce**
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a medium size bowl. Roll mixture with hands into to bite sized balls (I find that if I slightly dampen my hands, it makes them easier to roll).
- In a small bowl combine gluten free flour and bread crumbs mixing well.
- Roll each black bean bite in breadcrumb mixture and fry in coconut oil heated on med/high, 3 minutes on each side. Remove and add place bites in an oven proof pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, then cover each with BBQ sauce and serve.
*You can add more or less depending on your taste for hot and spicy. **My favorite BBQ Sauce to use is Weber’s Sweet & Spicy.
These wonderful Black Bean Bites are so tasty with a side of fresh slaw or all by themselves, either way they’re a scrumptious bite. These were a wonderful addition to our game day list of tasty treats. You can easily bake these the night before and rewarm them in some tangy sauce the following day and save some time in the kitchen. What a way to start of any gathering!
From my kitchen to yours,
For another great game day recipe, try my Football Sunday Black Bean Salsa Wraps.