Zucchini Apple Squash Soup is a bowl full of love that will warm you up from head to toe! I’m a big fan of making and creating new and exciting soups. Here in Maine our winters can be really long, especially living so close to Mount Washington. Sometimes it feels like the winter will never end, and there is no better way to warm up than with a hot bowl of some warm delicious Zucchini Apple Squash Soup.
I was able to pull off a big bowl of Grammie magic with this Zucchini Apple Squash Soup and slipped in one of my favorite vegetables in on the grandchildren, without them even knowing. I told them it was filled with a magical ingredient and they’re going to love it. Well, guess what? They did, and I still haven’t told them what my magical ingredient is. They were hilarious trying to figure it out, you should have heard the guesses going around the table that day. One of my favorites came from Ethan, he said “it doesn’t matter what’s in there, it’s loaded with Grammie’s love”, then he gave a little wink and a smile. Oh, be still my heart for these babies hold all of my love. They are so very precious and they can get a cookie out of me with just a hug. Ethan got two today for his wonderful comment.
Zucchini Apple Squash Soup is a creamy delicious bowl full of warmth and love. Warm your family up with some home made soup tonight.
- 2 large – Zucchini’s – diced
- 1 large – Yellow Squash – diced
- 2 large – Apples – peeled, cored and diced
- 1 small – Onion – diced
- 2 small – Potatoes – diced
- 2 cloves – Garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp. – Coconut Oil
- 8 cups – Low Sodium Chicken Stock*
- 1/8 tsp – Cumin
- ½ - Jalapeno – diced
- Salt and Pepper – about 1/8 tsp of each, then add more for taste
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- ¼ cup – Non Fat Greek Yogurt
- In large pot sauté onions, jalapenos, and garlic in coconut oil on med/low until onions are translucent.
- Add diced zucchini, yellow squash, apples, and potatoes, cooking an additional 3 minutes. Be sure to stir often so veggies do not burn. Add salt, pepper and cumin.
- Pour chicken stock over mixture and bring to a boil. Once soups start to boil reduce heat to a simmer and cook until fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Use a hand blender and whirl up soup – be careful this soup is very hot – do not allow children to run hand mixer with hot liquid. Blend until desired consistency.
- Stir in butter and yogurt and serve with slices of fresh apples.
*I always use Rachel Rays, personally I think she has the best chicken and veggie stock. You may need a little more or less stock, it will depend on how thick or thin you like your soup.
The smoky flavor of cumin mixed with the sweet taste of apples, zucchini and yellow squash is an amazing combination of flavors that’s sure to please everyone. The dollop of yogurt added at the end gives a rich creaminess to this magical bowl of love and warmth. It’s comfort for the heart and soul. It’s also a great way to sneak in those wonderful vegetables to your family without them even knowing. Pull out your magic and spread some love and comfort for dinner tonight, with this delicious Zucchini Apple Squash Soup.
For another bowl of warmth and comfort try my Snow Day Chicken Soup.
From my kitchen to yours,