Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are just what was in order over the weekend. We had two back to back football games to attend with our grandsons, and I needed some goodies to pack up to feed them and other ravenous players. There is no appetite (in this place or world) like that of a child playing, in any sport! Honestly, I needed something to keep myself and my husband going, we were dog tired (an old southern term) by the time the day completed at 10:30 p.m. – yes, that was at night, not during the day. Being grandparents who love being there for two different teams, can be tiring. These tasty Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins stepped right in and took care of that hunger for everyone.
These Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are so easy to make, especially if you already have some rhubarb that’s sitting in the freezer. If not, just boil some up for a few minutes with some strawberries from your local farmer’s market, or your local store (always support your local growers), and you’re all set. We have a monstrous rhubarb plant that just keeps giving and won’t stop! Everyone is welcome to stop by and pick some, as you pass by the house.
These wonderful gluten-free Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins are great for a family function, or pack up a few to keep the little football players in your house fueled and reading to hit that goal line.
- 2 cups – Rhubarb – peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup – Sugar
- 2 cups – Strawberries – chopped
- 2 cups – Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 tsp – Baking Powder
- 1 ½ tsp – Baking Soda
- ½ tsp – Salt
- 1 cup – Sugar
- 2 – Eggs – beaten
- 1 tsp – Vanilla Bean Powder note
- 1 tsp - Cinnamon
- ¾ cup – Butter Milk*
- 1 tbsp. – Sugar – for sprinkling on top
- Cook chopped rhubarb and ¼ cup sugar in small pot on medium for 10 minutes. In last 3 minutes of cooking add chopped strawberries. Remove from heat, put into a freezer save bowl and put in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, use wooden spoon to combine, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ¼ cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and butter milk, stir until well combined.
- Add cooled rhubarb/strawberry mixture to flour mixture and stir with wooden spoon. Scoop batter into lined muffin pan until ¾ full, sprinkle with remaining sugar, and bake at 350 degrees until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside and let cool for 2 minutes in pan, then remove to wire rack and let completely cool before wrapping.**
*You can use regular milk. I always put a tsp of vinegar in my milk before adding. **Once cool, you can freeze to a take out when needed. Note - To find out more about pure natural Vanilla Bean Powder, please visit the official page of SunnyDay Organics
Normally, my grandchildren are in on the making of most things “in the kitchen”, but this time I wanted to be in and out quick so I could get ready for “the games”. These Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins were just the trick! No one, not even any of the parents knew, these were my special “gluten-free” muffins! I love how that happens! These amazing moist and scrumptious muffins were a hit for my grandsons and everyone that were (lucky enough as Ethan calls it) to eat one. If you don’t have a backup for fuel, try these Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins, and keep your team(s) going.
From my kitchen to yours,
To purchase the pure natural Vanilla Bean Powder by SunnyDay Organics, please visit Amazon.com