July was a Minion Cupcakes month around here, and I think it will be repeated again for September. My beautiful granddaughter Kylie had her birthday in July and she turned the big number eight (8), which to her means, she is officially a big girl now. She says she’ll be even bigger when she is a gigantic 10 years old, because double digits make you bigger. Ms. Kylie is obsessed with those little minion creatures, and is in love with, anything and everything involving these monsters. So, I thought I would surprise her, by making these quick and ever so easy Minion Cupcakes this year as a very special treat, just for her.
Ms. Kylie’s Rockin’ Minion Cupcakes
We surprised her by picking her up that day and taking her out at camp, to see her Great Memere and Great Pepere to have a day of swimming in the lake, and of course opening presents. What a smile on this little lady’s face when she saw those Minion Cupcakes! She was so excited and couldn’t wait to eat one. Her process of eating these little creatures were to lick the blue frosting first, then onto the creamy filling in the Twinkie, and then it was a rush for the cake, and eyes (the best part according to you her) were saved for last. She was laughing, and saying “they can’t see me now”. My little sweetheart is just too funny for words. Our little Ms. Kylie is such a wonder and full of nothing but love and laughter, of the purest kind.
Kylie doesn’t see like most of us, she has Coloboma Bilaterally, which means in both eyes, she is legally blind. She only has an inner peripheral vision on the right side, but I fully believe my sweet little Ms. Kylie, can see more than any other person, for she sees with her heart. She is an amazing child and has soaked my heart and soul with nothing but love. I so enjoy watching all the excitement escaping from her body when she’s laughing and having fun.
These Minion Cupcakes were a hit with my granddaughter on her birthday. They’re so quick and easy to make and will certainly please all the little Minion lovers in your home.
- 1 box – Gluten-free Cake Mix – yellow
- 1 container – Frosting – white
- Blue Food Dye
- 1 package – Candy Eyes – small
- 1 tube – Black Gel Icing – small
- 8 – Twinkie’s – cut in half*
- 16 - Blue Cupcake Liners
- Mix cake according to directions. Pour batter into cupcake pan lined with blue liners. Bake according to box directions. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Add frosting to a bowl and mix in blue food dye, until desired blue color is reached. Frost the top of each cupcake.
- Cut twinkie’s in half, and place cut side down on top of blue frosting. Apply a little of the black gel to the back of each eyeball candy and place on cupcake. Outline each eye with black gel and swipe lines on top of each twinkie to resemble hair, and draw a line for the mouth. Now you’re set to rock the minions.
*these Twinkie’s were not gluten-free. There are a few recipes you can find online to make them yourself. I plan on doing that very soon. Note - total time does not include cooling time for cupcakes.
What a grand time we had at camp on her very special day, and we’re so lucky to be able to share it with her great grandparents at the same time. It’s a page for the memory books and will last a life time and more. Our little Ms. Kylie (not so little anymore), loved these Minion Cupcakes. I had to make another batch the following week so all the other grandchildren could share in her new favorite treat, and now I’m receiving requests by all of them! I hope these Minion Cupcakes bring as much joy to your family, as they have to mine.
From my loving kitchen to yours,