Meatloaf Cupcakes are fun and imaginable way to get your family to love meatloaf. Imagine the surprise and smiles on the faces of your family when you serve cupcakes for dinner. Mine went totally nuts! I had my granddaughter Autumn helping me in the kitchen today and told her about one of my new favorite television series called “Astronauts Wives Club”. During one of their get-togethers one of the wife’s served up these scrumptious meatloaf cupcakes and I thought, why not, so we made them. She really put some thought into how they should be done. She also just wanted to call them what they are, Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting and Corn Sprinkles. I thought – what a wonderful name, it fits them perfectly. If she’s helping me, when she gets to name the recipe, so don’t be surprised when you see some really wacky recipe names here soon.
A few simple ingredients, a little bit of extra time spent with someone you love in the kitchen, is time well spent, and will make lasting memories for the books. These Meatloaf Cupcakes will be front and Center on any child’s memory page. With seven grandchildren I have tons of love to spread around to each and every one of them, and I’m so lucky to be in the same area with them. They warm my heart and I just explode with pride when I know they want to be in the kitchen right beside their Grammie, cooking up something fun and wonderful to eat, and using their imagination for creation.
These Meatloaf Cupcakes are pure comfort food in one bite! Cupcakes are not just for dessert! Get your family involved in the fun and have them help out in the kitchen tonight and add some extra memories for the family book.
- 1 lb – Lean Ground Beef
- 1 small package – Italian Sausage – remove casing
- 1 small – White Onion – chopped small
- 1 – Green Bell Pepper – chopped small
- 2 - Eggs
- 14 oz – Can diced Tomatoes – drained and rinsed
- ½ cup – Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- Generous sprinkle of each – Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cumin
- 3.5 lbs – Potatoes – peeled and chopped into small pieces*
- 1 tbsp. – Garlic Powder – for potato water
- ¼ cup – Butter
- ½ cup – Milk, Cream or Unsweetened Almond or Soy Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup – Corn – for sprinkles
- Basil Leaves – thinly sliced
- Get your potatoes cooking first in the garlic water, bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking combine – ground beef, Italian sausage, onions, bell pepper, eggs and tomatoes in a large bowl. I use my hands**
- Add diced tomatoes and bread crumbs – combine just until incorporated.
- Scoop by small handful into lined cupcake pans, and bake at 350 degrees for twenty minutes. Remove from oven.
- While meatloaf cupcakes are cooking, drain, and mash potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste. You may need a little more/less milk depending on the consistency you like your mashed potatoes.
- Add mashed potatoes to a pipping bag or a Ziploc baggie cutting the corner off to use as a pipping bag. Pipe mashed potatoes in a swirl on top of each meatloaf cupcake and return to the oven set to broil. Broil until potatoes are desired color – just a few minutes. Remove and add corn and some fresh basil to the top!
*Cutting the potatoes in small pieces will allow them to cook faster. **Don’t over combine the meat mixture, this will make your meatloaf cupcakes tough. Mix just until all is combined.
Two of my grandchildren want to have a Chopped Competition in the kitchen this winter. I can see some memories being made there – my poor kitchen! I can’t see the food flying around faster than I can type this post up! I think I better take stock out in the paper towel company as soon as possible.
Growing up I learned life and love start in the kitchen making some good comfort food, with an added side of love will keep your family going. No matter what we had or didn’t have growing up, we had plenty of loved served each and every day, and this is what I bring to the table for my grandchildren as well. These Meatloaf Cupcakes are a little cup of love and comfort. Get your whole family involved and spend the evening together making this wonderful meal and watch the look on their faces when they realize they just made a wonderful meal of Meatloaf Cupcakes and Mashed Potato Frosting with Corn Sprinkles.
From my kitchen to yours,
For another great recipe using Mashed Potatoes, check out my Ribeye with Balsamic Reduction, Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Greens.