Pecan Walnut Chicken Salad is a quick and easy dish to fix on those days that you’re running behind and just need something fast and cool, that will keep you out of the kitchen.
No one wants to cook on these hot summer nights when the sun is beating down, making your kitchen twice as hot as it should be; well, maybe some do, but I don’t. On these sweltering nights I love to fix Pecan Walnut Chicken Salad as our go-to-meal. I love the combination of the cool crisp red grapes, with the additional crunch of pecans, walnuts, and celery. They just add a welcoming freshness to this wonderful chicken salad.
Chicken Salad is one of those versatile dishes to make! You add almost anything, and it’s going to be delicious. My grandmother always made hers with just a little dab of pickle relish, onions, and some fresh cut up beets – yes, I said beets! Yum, it was delicious, but I’m the only one here that likes beets, so I don’t put them in mine. I do add a lot of other wonderful ingredients to my chicken salad and this tasty combination is out of this world.
A great dish to fix on those hot muggy days when you just don’t want to be in the kitchen! Pecan Walnut Chicken Salad is one of our favorite meals as a take-a-long to any gathering or large function. You can make a little or a lot!
- 2 – 12.5 oz canned – Chicken – white meat, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup – Pecans and Walnuts – chopped
- 2 Stalks – Celery – chopped small
- 2 tbs – Dill – fresh, chopped
- 1 tsp – Mustard
- ¼ cup – Red Bell Pepper - chopped
- ¼ cup – Green Bell Pepper - chopped
- ¼ cup – Onion – chopped – chopped
- 2 tbs – Parsley – chopped fine
- ¼ tsp – Garlic Powder
- ¼ cup – Red Seedless Grapes – sliced
- ¾ cup - Greek Yogurt* – plain
- ¼ cup – Mayo*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 package – Gluten-Free Hamburger/Hoagie Rolls
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well with a wooden spoon. Put ¼ cup inside each roll, or scoop out center seeds of a small fresh tomato instead.
*you may require more or less of these ingredients, depending on your taste.
I use plain Greek yogurt in addition to mayo, and it gives the chicken salad a light creamy flavorful taste! My husband is all about the taste! Most of the family loves to eat theirs on hoagie rolls or sometimes I pile it high in the center of a fresh tomato. I also love to kick mine up a notch with some jalapenos or crushed red peppers! Yum! I love heat! The heat you can taste and feel – as long as it’s not from the hot sun, that is! 🙂
This Pecan Walnut Chicken Salad is a great dish to fix the night before and not have to worry about. Some things just taste better the second day, and this is one of them! Pack it up and take to a family gathering, to work, or a picnic on a nice sunny day. Just put the chicken salad in a bowl in your cooler, pack some buns or tomatoes, and you’re all set!
From my kitchen to yours,