These are Not Your Mama’s Grilled Cheese sandwiches that you may remember from your childhood. Oh yes, they do have that wonderful melted cheese oozing from the center, just like your mother used to make; but these are a kicked up version. There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich to melt away those moody days and put you into your comfort zone. My personal favorites are loaded with spinach, tomato, provolone, and pairs so well with cheddar! Yum! Adding my Tempting Tomato Soup with each one of these is a match made in tasty heaven.
What a great way to get your taste buds going by biting into a hot cheesy grilled cheese sandwich with a kicked up taste! Yep! These are Not Your Mama's Grilled Cheese!
- 8 Slices – Gluten-free Bread*
- 4 TBS – Butter
- 4 Slices – Cheddar Cheese
- 1 – Granny Smith Apple – cored and thinly sliced
- 2 – Slices – Swiss Cheese
- 2 – Slices – Provolone Cheese
- 2 Small handfuls – Baby Spinach
- 1 Small – Tomato – thinly sliced
- Butter 4 slices of bread with ½ TBS butter on one side.
- Put 2 slices of bread, butter side down on griddle** or pan on medium heat. Lay one slice of cheddar on each, then add a thin layer of apples, and other slice of cheddar. Put the other slice of bread on top of each, butter side up. Grill for 3 minutes, then flip and grill for additional 3 minutes, or until it reaches your desired golden brown color.
- Repeat above steps but using the swiss, provolone, spinach, and tomato as your layers.
- Slice all 4 grilled sandwiches corner to corner, arrange on platter and serve with your favorite sides or a nice warm bowl of soup!
*One of my personal favorites is Udi’s Gluten-Free Breads. **If you have a large enough griddle, you can cook these all together.
Why do I call these mouthful of hot cheesy sandwiches, not your mama’s grilled cheese? Because when all of our grandchildren (I have 7) are here, it’s a stay in the kitchen, hectic good kind of time.
Here’s the lineup for our grandchildren:
- Mason likes his with yellow cheese, and it can’t be too dark on the outside, it has to be that perfect light golden brown, or he’ll think it’s burnt.
- Autumn likes hers with white cheese, but with the crust cut off, and likes to have them placed in a circle on her plate, so they look like a sunny flower.
- Ethan wants his with yellow and white cheese, and don’t cut it, he wants to bite right into it so the cheese can ooze out the sides.
- Patience (yes, she was given that name for a reason), wants hers just cut once, and always has to have a side of cucumbers.
- Then there’s my Ms. Kylie (I’ve called her that since she was born), and she just wants one and doesn’t care what’s on it!
- The last two are too young for grilled cheese, but give them a little time, they’ll be putting their own orders in soon!
Oh, and I can’t forget about the biggest child I have, my husband! Of course he likes his loaded with whatever you put in there.
As long as I’m making it, he’s eating it!
For the grandchildren I usually add my Chicken Soup for the finishing touch, and everyone is happy! You can’t have a grilled cheese made wrong! Get creative and get in the kitchen and make up your version of Not Your Mama’s Grilled Cheese sandwich, then watch the smiles happen on the faces of your family.
From my kitchen to yours,