Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom Gravy is going to be the dish your family raves about. All I did, was take out some stew meat (I didn’t use an expensive cut of meat but it was still very tender) and cooked it up with a variety of peppers, mushrooms; made some gravy, and poured it over basmati rice (my favorite). My husband couldn’t get enough! I made enough for six people, but there were only three of us here to enjoy it…the hubby, my son, and of course the cook – me! Thank goodness! The hubby went back for another serving and ate the left-overs for lunch the next day, and still wanted me to make more! Now he says this Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom Gravy is his favorite, and he even got to name this recipe.
I remember having pepper steak as a child and not really liking it very well. The biggest reason why I might not have liked it was…the stuff came in a can, yuk! There is nothing canned in this recipe, except for a carton of veggie stock! All these lovely ingredients are crisp, fresh, and oh, so good. This dish was so easy to make and I only seasoned it with fresh garlic, ground black pepper, and a little Mrs. Dash original table seasoning. I think the vegetable stock holds enough sodium without adding more. See? Simple as can be!
Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom Gravy
This Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom gravy is a crowd pleaser and will have them coming back for seconds and even thirds. Make sure you put some aside for yourself before your kitchen gets filled up with those hungry monsters.
- 1 lb – Stew Meat
- 2 Tbsp – Coconut Oil
- 2 Cloves – Garlic – minched
- ½ - Green Bell Pepper – chopped
- ½ - Red Bell Pepper – chopped
- ½ - Yellow Bell Pepper – chopped
- ½ - Red Onion – chopped
- 1 Pack – Baby Portabella Mushrooms – sliced
- 1 Carton – Vegetable Stock*
- 3 Tbsp – Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 Cups – Basmati Rice – cooked**
- 1 Tbsp – Ground Black Pepper
- Cook basmati rice according to directions and set aside.
- Season stew meat and cook in large skillet in coconut oil over med heat for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside. Do not dump oil, you will be using this.
- Sautee garlic, bell peppers, and onions in your skillet you removed your meat from, for 3 minutes, then add sliced mushrooms and sautee for another 2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of veggie stock to pan and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well to brown the flour, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetable stock and meat. Continue cooking on medium/low until desired thickness.
- Serve over basmati rice.
*I use Rachel Ray’s stocks, they are certified gluten-free. Make sure to read all ingredients of any kind of stock, broth, and bouillon cubes. **You can use regular or instant rice, whichever you have on hand. Basmati is my personal favorite.
This Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom Gravy can be doubled in size and served at a large family gathering, or keep it the way it is and save some for the next day. Just don’t tell my hubby or he’ll be knocking on your door!
The rich and creamy gravy, along with the beef, and the vegetables poured over basmati rice, will certainly please everyone. You can even change it up, and make a small pan without the meat and you’ll be the star of the kitchen for those non-meat eaters, as well. Your home is going to be smelling like a five star restaurant in just a few minutes! Stay alert because you’ll be seeing the neighbors coming across the yard once they get a whiff of the Spectacular Pepper Steak and Mushroom Gravy. Make some extra basmati rice and use it for my Basmati Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe to have an additional meal planned for your busy week.
From my kitchen to yours,
How do you remember eating pepper steak? Please share below…