This Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken was inspired by a local Chinese Bistro in Portland, Maine called Zen. My husband and I went to visit some friends and they took us there for dinner! Being gluten-free, I shy away from most restaurants unless they serve up a pretty mean salad! Not only was this place amazing, but they have a complete Gluten-Free menu! We will be returning very soon! I had the chicken sticks and my husband tried their Sesame Chicken, which after one bite, I was sold! After getting home and wanting some of their amazing food, but not wanting to drive an hour and half to get there (yes, that’s local for us), I decided to give it a try and I think I came pretty darn close with my version of Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken inspired by Zen!
This amazing Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken was the high light of our Friday Night Date Night in! The best part was, I fixed it in my own kitchen. No take-out, no driving to pick it up or waiting on the delivery person, just me and my honey!
- 1 Package – Rice Noodles*
- 1 tsp – Olive Oil – to drizzle over rice noodles
- 2 lbs – Chicken – cubed, skinless and boneless
- ½ Cup – Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup – Buttermilk
- 1 ½ Cups – Gluten-Free Flour
- ¾ tsp – Chili Powder
- ¾ tsp – Cumin
- ½ tsp – Sea Salt
- ½ tsp – Ground Pepper
- 1 Cup – Pure Raw Honey
- 2 ½ tbs – Gluten-Free Soy Sauce**
- ½ tsp – Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp – Crushed Red Peppers
- 1 tbs – Corn Starch
- 1 tbs – Water
- 2 tbs – Sesame Seeds
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions and set aside along with olive oil.
- In small bowl combine water and cornstarch, mix well with a fork until combined.
- In a small cooking pot heat on medium: honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red peppers until it comes to a simmer.
- Add cornstarch mixture to sauce, stirring well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes on a very low setting. Remove from heat.
- In a medium size bowl combine flour, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper; mix well.
- Place buttermilk in a small separate bowl.
- Dredge chicken cubes in flour, then in milk, and back in the flour once more.
- Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat. Place dredge chicken pieces in a heated skillet and cook 3 minutes per side.
- Place cooked chicken onto plate layer with paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
- Once all chicken has been cooked place in a large bowl and pour sauce on top and mix well.
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds and mix until combined.
- Re-heat rice noodles in warm water, drain and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place rice noodles on platter and top with the Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken.
*I used Annie Chun’s Maifun Rice Noodles **I used LaChoy Gluten-Free Soy Sauce – not all soy sauces are gluten-free, be sure to check your labels.
This Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken can be thrown together rather quickly and easily right in your own kitchen. Soon you will be sitting down to one of your favorite Chinese inspired dishes! I served ours over a bed of Rice Noodles with a little drizzle of olive oil, and a side salad of fresh baby spinach and arugula with vinegar and oil. What a great way to spend an amazing night in and having some of your favorite Chinese inspired food without the take out. No trips to town, and no waiting on delivery; which we don’t even have here in our little town hidden away in the White Mountains of Maine! If you would like to finish off this wonderful Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken with a sweet treat, hop on over and check out my Mini Spice Cakes to finish up an amazing night.
From my kitchen to yours,
P.S. I paired our Chinese inspired Sweet Sesame Seed Chicken with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Kendall-Jackson.
What Chinese inspired dishes have you made? Please share below…