This Pine Nut Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes recipe is a favorite of my husband’s. He finally, (after asking, well for a bit) talked me into making them for him last week for dinner. So, I thought I would share this wonderful little treat with you. The freshness of the tomato and parsley combined with the pine nuts and a little kick of the crushed red peppers will leave you wanting more. The infusing of the olive oil with the pine nuts make these babies a very delectable morsel. Start your “sweethearts” meal out with these little appetizers and you’re sure to have his attention for the remainder of the evening. He will be standing at the kitchen doorway, hoping the next dish is ready soon.
These Pine Nut Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes are a great appetizer for any meal. They go really well with grilled steak and herb infused mashed potatoes.
- 4 Roma Tomatoes
- 2 Bunches – Parsley
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Clove – Garlic
- ¼ Cup – Roasted Pine Nuts
- 4 Tablespoons – Olive Oil*
- ¼ Teaspoon – Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Sea Salt – To taste
- Pepper – To taste
- Extra Pine Nuts – To sprinkle on top
- Slice tomatoes in half and scrape out middle (seeds) and set aside.
- In blender or food processor combine garlic and pine nuts until blended. I use pulse until combined and lumpy.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper, crushed red peppers, juice from ½ lemon - blend until lumpy in consistency.
- Stuff tomato halves and top each with extra pine nuts.
- Squeeze remaining ½ lemon over tomatoes and sprinkle each with a pinch of sea salt.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
*You may need a little more oil depending on the consistency you are looking for. I prefer my pesto sauce not to contain too much oil, so mine is on the thicker side.
Don’t want a full three coarse meal? Put these Pine Nut Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes over a bed of fresh spinach and arugula, drizzle with a little additional olive oil over the top and you have yourself a light healthy meal right there. But if your significant other is anything like mine, they’ll want the whole shebang!
From my kitchen to yours,
How do you like your Pine Nut Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes served? Please share below…